NightWatchman® and 1E WakeUp
Leaving an average PC and CRT monitor constantly switched on, perhaps for convenience or IT administration purposes, conservatively consumes 750kWh per annum, costing in excess of R480 per annum in energy bills to run. This also equates to about 772kg of CO2 per year.
With PC power management software from sustainableIT and our technology partner 1E, companies can save more than R250 per PC per year and reduce emissions into the environment by so doing. In an office of 1000 PCs, annual energy cost savings are in excess of R250,000 and more if the offices are air-conditioned. This cost effective solution provides a quick win in energy savings initiatives and typically provides a payback period of around 9 months.
Case Study – Bovis Lend Lease
Our PC power management software incorporates two products:
NightWatchman shuts machines down and supports the following features:
- Powers down or logs off PCs across an enterprise
- Protects unsaved user data prior to shutdown
- Produces reports to calculate current and potential future savings
- Controls PC Power Scheme settings
- Schedules daily, immediate or once off shutdowns
- Controllable with any systems management tooling as well as through its own console
- Energy, cost and co2 emissions reporting
1E WakeUp enables Wake-On-LAN to function in large complex networks. These typically present several challenges, such as blocking wake messages at each boundary. 1E WakeUp uses an intelligent agent to avoid relaxing network security and to report on success or failure. Large scale events are controlled by powering machines in stages, balancing network load by distributing waves of power events.
Key features and benefits include:
- Reduces cost of software & patch deployments by enabling 100% distribution success
- Computer Health monitors PC ‘health’ trends and enables pro-active or automated problem resolution
- 1E Web WakeUp allows users to power up their office PC remotely ensuring access to resources at all times
- Integrates with Configuration Manager 2007 and supports Intel® Active Management Technology (vProTM)
- Gives complete visibility with reports on power & deployment success and computer health issues
- Minimizes network impact by using staggered distributions
- Configurable for any type of network including where subnet-directed broadcasts are disabled